Friday, August 21, 2015

Remediation

I ran the race of my life back in May, setting a massive 50k PR at Sulphur Springs in the best running shape of my life.

Then I got injured.

Then we went paddling.

Then we went motorcycle touring.

While I'd been training in between all of these things, I don't think I'd managed to run more than 20km in a week since the end of May. I did get fairly aggressive with cycling for a bit there and continued to swim, but I was only running 3 times per week and fairly short distances to try to let the damage heal.

Then the two vacations came along, and everything ground to a halt. I was out of the pool and off the bike for 11 days, and I didn't run at all for 2 full weeks.

Yikes.

I started running again last Thursday, just as a patch of really hot and humid weather set in. I'm sure I'd be slow and a sweaty, puffing mess even if I was still in the shape I was in May.

Unfortunately, I'm not. My fitness has declined and my weight has risen.

This is not the right way 'round for this time of year.

So if you see some poor, chubby soul puffing like a steam engine and pouring a river of sweat as she struggles to keep from being passed by snails out on the trails around Cambridge, spare me a wave, will you?

Warning: trail users in the first 5 rows will get wet.

1 comment:

Go on, have at me!