Friday, April 26, 2013

Taper crazies setting in

With the Mississauga Half Marathon now just over a week away, I've actually started to taper. I've done poorly at that so far this year, but the other races weren't priority - this is one I've really been working toward.

Since the start of this year, I've averaged 200+km of running every month - will top 800k by Sunday of this week. It's my biggest running block ever (stop laughing), and I'm actually entertaining the notion I might be adequately prepared for a race...for once. I've managed to ratchet down my mileage a bit after putting in my highest volume last week, so now I'm caught trying to delicately balance rest and absorbing the work with minimizing loss of fitness. My OCD side says I should be getting more work done, but there's no use in wearing myself down before the big day, so I just sit and gently twitch instead.

This coming weekend will be a crucial time not to over-work myself, but it's going to be tough to keep myself from putting in some serious saddle time, as we're supposed to have lovely weather!

Just made for riding!

I do, however, have one really excellent reason to take things easy and give the training a rest; it's my incredibly wonderful and perpetually amazing husband, sherpa and best friend's birthday tomorrow!

Happy Tanker after finishing P2A 2013!

So, I'm going to dedicate this weekend to spending some time trying to show my sweetheart how much he really means to me - the whole world! We've got dinner with my Mum tonight, a bit of a get-together planned for tomorrow evening (campfire and great friends!), then brunch with some of our favourite people on Sunday. We'll probably do a bit of cycling as well, maybe get out on the motorcycles, and possibly even go smash a bucket of golfballs at the driving range. Doesn't really matter what we do, as long as I get to do it with him!


Rolling together in the sunshine.

So Happy Birthday, my darling! Thank you for keeping me sane while I blunder through this taper (or at least for not throttling me for my taper crazies), for everything else you do every single day that makes life with you an absolute joy, and most of all just for being you!

*twitch*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, have at me!